This is a collection of small projects which attempt to make social scientific writing easier. It consists of a couple of distinct parts.
The Visualization Library
- A library of html snippets that can be chained together to make visualizations from data, right in Markdown!
- By utilizing DOM properties and Hugo shortcodes we can construct a functional language for data manipulation.
- Allows authors to draw beautiful, performant charts which properly inherit the site’s overall style, unlike plugins like observable or plotly which often appear jarring.
The Watts Lab Data Access Program
- A system of AWS hooks which can be queries by the public using a Domain Specific, lisp-like language.
- Allows authors to make interesting visualizations on privately held data.
- Allows first class access to open projects like the News Observatory.